Anyone extremely familiar with the phpBB2 system?

Talk friendly or else...
moving_target
Chaser

Anyone extremely familiar with the phpBB2 system?

Post by moving_target »

Our clan is expanding into new games and not all clan members are following so I was asked to make separate sections. So, I need to give certain members access to it and others not. Problem is... after recently upgrading to the latest version, I can't get the Admin Index Page to load correctly. The entire menu is missing. I've discovered I can still access individual pages by typing them but it has become a huge pain in the ass. Anyone offer any help why this might be happening? Currently the left pane is empty and the right one works fine.

Thanks,

MT
UTK.GENOCIDE
Hat Trick

Post by UTK.GENOCIDE »

Why dont you jsut leave it public?

And I know invision power board very well but DO not know of anything of how to restrict access other than making the forum password protected.

So you could just make 1 forum for 1 game passworded, and the other games have diff passwords.
moving_target
Chaser

Post by moving_target »

Well most clans have a private section to discuss clan matters and matches, etc. They wanted a separate private section b/c one of our clan members is already in a CSS clan and they're starting one within our own so they didn't want a clash of interests there. I have access to it no matter what though since I pay for it. :party:
100hogs
Extra Sexy Admin

Post by 100hogs »

I know about one bug in phpBB2 when admin menu disappears even if you have admin access. You can fix it only if you have access to mSQL database. I had that problem once I was changing phpBB configuration. Looks like it's a common problem.
moving_target
Chaser

Post by moving_target »

I do have access to the database but I wouldn't know what needs changed. I can learn quickly though but I'd need to know what exactly causes the problem. I really don't want to roll back to before the update b/c everything else is functional.
100hogs
Extra Sexy Admin

Post by 100hogs »

I'll try to find that fix. Some admin functions mistakenly change admnistration group privelegies id in the database. And you have to fix it manually. I'll post link when I find it.
moving_target
Chaser

Post by moving_target »

Well... I've done myself over real well this time. Not only do I not have the side control panel... now I can't access the admin's page at all :bsod:

I had to open some new sections for CSS and not only did I have to create the forums manually in the database but I had to go in and manually change permissions for the members that needed access to it. :machinegun:
100hogs
Extra Sexy Admin

Post by 100hogs »

Did you try to upgrade phpBB instead? It should restore some critical fields in database (unless it kills database completely :) ).
I tried to make a search of fix that I used to get administration panel back, but could not find it. Looks like that problem was specific for a particular build and was fixed relatively shortly after it was discovered.
moving_target
Chaser

Post by moving_target »

Lol... I did upgrade... but it didn't do what I wanted. Instead it broke more stuff. Before I was able to get to different admin pages by simply typing in the names of the file links... now I can't get to admin page at all. I had to set up the new forums and change access settings from directly within the database. It wasn't too hard to figure out but way more tedious.
100hogs
Extra Sexy Admin

Post by 100hogs »

I just found out how to fix admin access in phpBB. It happened to my user account again, so I had to MySQL and fix it manually.
You need to run command "update php_users set user_level=1 where username='yourname';"
I know it's kinda late, but anyway. :)