can't host a server

All questions about bans, maps and other issues should be posted here

can't host a server

Post by Guest »

well, i have to admit, im a "noob" to all this hosting stuff. but i have a problem. first, of all, i have cable internet, with just a external cable modem, no router. however, when i try to host a full server, everything loads and all seems well. when i go into my server, it has to be through lan, because it doesnt show up on the server browser right away. so, after im in for five minutes or so, i check to make sure everyone can see it. so i go to server browser, and it's there. but no one comes, but i assume it's more than me being unpopular. so i go into a utk server or somehting and tell people to come to my server, but no one can see it. this is confusing the hell out of me.and idears?

Post by Guest »

oh and this is earl. forgot to log in.
Genocide

Post by Genocide »

It is either one of the 2 problems:

1: You have a firewall activated, go to control panel and make sure u disable ALL firewalls, and pretty much any security shit, as long as ur just shosting UT server.

2: You have a router, i dont really know how this messes with the connection, but it gives the wrong IP on the internet list, thats why people see ping like "N/A" or "?" If you do have a router you need to "forward the ports" wich every1 tells me but doesnt tell me how to do it lol.

So... chekc all that shit out.
RefleX
Godlike

Post by RefleX »

Genocide wrote:It is either one of the 2 problems:

1: You have a firewall activated, go to control panel and make sure u disable ALL firewalls, and pretty much any security shit, as long as ur just shosting UT server.

2: You have a router, i dont really know how this messes with the connection, but it gives the wrong IP on the internet list, thats why people see ping like "N/A" or "?" If you do have a router you need to "forward the ports" wich every1 tells me but doesnt tell me how to do it lol.

So... chekc all that shit out.
What he said.
now playing TAM, fuck you guys and fuck instagib
earl

Post by earl »

my firewall lets ut bypass it though. atleast, it says it does...
Genocide

Post by Genocide »

I have never used a firewall and never had any vruses, or attacks or anything like that, I think theyre uselss so you should justturn it off.
earl

Post by earl »

lol steve, i should have just posted at our forums
100hogs
Extra Sexy Admin

Post by 100hogs »

You did not answer if you use a router or any kinda of NAT.
earl

Post by earl »

i dont have a router. all i have is an external cable modem. but i got it working, so i suppose it doesn't much matter. thanks anyways.